Thursday, June 10, 2010

Low Kay Hwa - Boy to Man

Strangely, I don't recall reading this at all. But oh well, this is the first short story he posted, so there you go. It's not very interesting, but it's ok la..

One . I cannot remember him, all I know is that he was there, looking at me right in the eyes with a smile and telling the nurses how proud he was. It was related to me by my mother, who was beside him all the while. In fact, I thought the description of him beside my mother all the while sounds better.

Six . He scolded me everyday, telling me that boys should not cry, and not to tarnish the boys’ reputation. He beat me with rulers and used pain to stop my tears. I did not dare to tell him that the pain encouraged the tears, not stopped them. But to him, either he was right, or I was wrong. There is always no room for compromise.

Seven . He said he would let go, I screamed no, he yelled yes, I begged him not to, for we were going too fast, he yelled yes, I said I would do anything as long as he didn’t let go, he yelled yes, and when I realized his yell sounded distant, I was cycling without him pushing.

Fourteen . He told me that when he was a teenager, he had no money to buy cigarettes, so his friends and he picked up butts from rubbish bins, hoping that someone out there had not smoked to the end. Then he told me about how one of his friends died from cancer, and told me nicely that if I want to quit, now is the best timing. I said the lighter was for a school project. He told me he used the trick before.

Seventeen . He told me never to rush into things, but if the girl is willing, and I cannot control, then just follow the slogan in Nike. But he kept on emphasizing this: Wear a helmet when you are riding. He put a box of condoms on my table, and then had a quarrel with my mother. I nearly cried when I saw him being slapped by my mother, but I could tell that he was angry not because of the pain, but the fact that I saw everything.

Nineteen . He said it was a walk in a park nowadays. He kept on dredging up his own army stories, about how he charged up a hill with tanks and how people around him fainted and how he was the last man standing, firing at the enemy. He told me to enjoy my chalet, and to treat my wife, named M-16, with care and to clean her regularly. I just wanted him to shut up in front of all my new friends.

Twenty-eight . He told me not to spend the money, and to return the money. I lectured him a story about jealousy, and about how he had contributed to my fortune. I bought a condo and a car, and paid taxes for my stocks’ winnings. He threatened to call my company: I did not care, for I knew he would not do it, for I knew he is a coward.

Thirty-one . He called me when he heard the news. I hung up without saying anything. He called again. I hung up. He called. I hung up. He appeared on my doorstep, and related a story about a boy who fell down, and stood up. I told him I was thirty-one: He told me he is my father. I cried. He cried.

Thirty-three . He visited me, and I hesitated before meeting him. He said it was okay, life can be restarted, like a game in Playstation 3. I told him no company will employ me after they realized I had embezzled the company’s funds. He told me he would start a company, and employ me. I laughed. He laughed. I remembered him.

Forty . I became him.


*Taken from Low Kay Hwa's Fan Page notes.

0 voices: