Thursday, June 10, 2010

Low Kay Hwa - Promise

I personally like this one. I didn't see it coming at the end.

You remember? You remember you were the one who promised? Why, why must promises always be broken? Is the end of a promise always a shattering glass panel?

You promised. You promised that you would always be here with me, that if I allowed you to hold my hand, I would be the happiest girl in the world. You promised, I believed your promise, and that was why I held your hand. Why did you break your promise?

When you walked away from me, I stayed at the beach and cried. I forgot how many drops of tear had flowed out from my frail eyes: All I knew was that, as I sat there alone, your image was fading away, just like your love for me. Do you know I wanted so much to just wheel myself into the sea?

You promised. You promised that you would take care of me when the car accident took away my ability to walk. You said you would be my legs: I told you that things would not be that easy; you told me you would carry me if there is a need; I told you I would never walk again; you told me one day, one day we would go for a marathon together, with you carrying me. You promised, that was why I agreed to hold on to your hand. Why did you give up?

When you said you had given up, I told you all the promises you made. I listed them one by one, and ticked all those that you had fulfilled. I asked you why you couldn’t fulfill the last one: You said you were tired. But you promised. You promised that we would go through this together.

You promised. You promised to marry me, and I would sit in a wheelchair while you sit in your motorbike, so that we could kiss without you kneeing down. We planned our wedding, we were so convinced that my disability would never be a factor in our lives. I was convinced. Why must you concede to the cruel hands of fate?

That day, when you were gone, I was alone at the beach. I knew you wanted me to hate you for giving up so easily. But if love can turn into hatred so easily, it is not love. That day, I went to the church that we were going to get married in. I closed my eyes and visualized the marriage.

You promised. You promised to take care of me, to earn enough money so that we can buy a bungalow with a lift. You worked seven days a week, just so that you can earn enough to start your own company. Why did, why did you not fight back?

I had bought your favourite food, and they are here, in front of your photo. If you have not given up and fought the cancer, would you have fulfilled all the promises?

As I left your grave, I wondered if you had heard me.

*Taken from Low Kay Hwa's Fan Page notes.

0 voices: