Thursday, June 10, 2010

Low Kay Hwa - A Mother was Once a Daughter

A story on morale here.

“When she scolded me, I just cried. I hope she would not take out the cane, because scolding is just words, but caning is painful. I cried not because I had done something wrong; I cried because she was scolding me so loudly that I was afraid the neighbours would hear her. I couldn’t afford to let Peter know that I was scolded. To thank her, I promised to never to scold my kids when they did something wrong.

“When she scolded me, I just scolded back. Why wouldn’t I? I mean, she was being unreasonable. It was only for ten minutes: Why fuss over ten minutes? Why use the word ‘complacency’ to fuss over the ten minutes? Reasonable: Why couldn’t she understand it? To thank her, I made a silent promise: I would never scold my child for being late. It’s only ten minutes: One-sixth of an hour!

“When she scolded me, I just walked away. No point, I thought. I frowned, for I used to cry and scold back. But she was just being unreasonable. Very. She scolded me for bringing Eric home. Oh, come on. What era are we living in? What was she thinking? There’s really no point in talking back to her. To thank her, I restricted my conversation with her to the minimum.

“She’s my mother. Well, I was made to believe. I was quite certain that when I was one-year-old, I was adopted from some orphanage. She just wanted me to take care of her when she becomes old. She just hates living alone. That’s her. I know her too well.

“So I defied her wish. I ran away. Of course, I mean, what for I live with a woman who is just using me? Investing in me so that in the future, I can take care of her? I am not a dog. She should have bought a dog instead.

“Guess what? She apologized to me after a few days, when I went to Joy’s house to live. You know, I really laughed out loud. She was begging me to go back to her. You know, I can almost remember her words. She said she was sorry, and hoped that I would go back to her. You think I go back to her?

“I said, ‘Go away, woman’.

“She scolded me when I did not complete my homework. That is why now, I am a degree holder. She never gets the chance to see my graduation. She scolded me when I was late for ten minutes. That is why, now, I never get complacent over little things and is dubbed as the most 'efficient' employee by my boss. I never get the chance to give her allowance now. She scolded me for bringing Eric home: Eric is now in Changi Prison. My husband never gets the chance to see her.

“So, girl. I know how you feel now. You just have to understand, a mother was once a daughter. Can you come back home now? Can you come back to me, just like what it was, years ago?”


*Taken from Low Kay Hwa's Fan Page notes.

0 voices: